The gastronomical journey of a weekend chef!

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Spaghetti with Vodka Cream Sauce

Recently, I have become a huge fan of Pinterest. Through the website, I discovered several mouthwatering recipes, some of which truly compelled me to try them out on my own. I am also a pasta fanatic—I could seriously eat pasta for every meal for the rest of my life.

Ok maybe not. But, moving on.

I found this wonderful recipe for Spaghetti with Vodka Cream Sauce on 6 Bittersweets, and I immediately knew I had to try the same for myself. I made a few changes to the original recipe to make it more favorable to the Indian palette (we love our spice!). The sauce is creamy, delicious, and the vodka gives it just the right amount of kick. Try it for yourself, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Spaghetti with Vodka Cream Sauce 




You will need:
Half a packet of Spaghetti
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 onion, diced
1 Tsp red chili powder
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup vodka (I used Grey Goose) 
1/2 cup vegetable stock
2-3 tomatoes, diced, or a can of diced tomatoes
200ml whipping cream
4 chicken frankfurters (or a cup of sliced mushrooms or both!)
Handful of basil leaves
Parmesan and cream cheese
Hint of Tabasco sauce
Salt to taste
Pepper

Cooking Instructions
1. Boil the pasta according to packet instruction. Remember to salt the water!
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the onions. Saute for about 3 minutes or until tender. Add 1/2 tsp salt, garlic, red chili powder and pepper and saute for another minute.
3. Add vodka, but be very careful about it, since vodka is extremely flammable. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and let it simmer till the liquid has reduced to half.
4. Stir in another 1/2 tsp salt, vegetable broth and the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
5. Switch off the gas and let the sauce cool down for a bit as you will need to blend it. Add the tomato sauce to a blender, adding basil leaves to it. Place a clean towel over the lid and blend till the mixture is smooth. Return the mixture to the skillet.
6. In a separate pan, cook your sausages or mushrooms. Cut up the sausages to bite sized pieces once they are cooked.
7. Add the whipping cream to the sauce and mix well. Taste the sauce add more salt, pepper or chili powder, if needed. Add a hint of Tabasco sauce for added heat. Add the sausages or mushrooms to the sauce and remove from heat.
8. Add the pasta to the sauce as well as Parmesan and cream cheese. Mix well. Serve immediately with a sprig of basil leaves and Parmesan cheese shavings on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment